Saturday, June 13, 2009

LGBT Festival and Bathroom Incident


Today Bob and I decided to go to the 10th annual gay pride parade in Seoul. We were completely unsure of what to expect, for homosexuality still isn't entirely accepted or even displayed in Korea. We got there around 2 p.m. to find a small area of a business district covered in tents and filled with people handing out free condoms, fans, and buttons (in typical fashion). There was also a stage on which many people performed highly amusing songs, etc - one included a female rapper while another included a group of middle-school boys attired in extraordinarily tight jeans gyrating their hips to some popular Korean pop tune. Afterward, the actual parade began and wound its way through the streets of this business district. After pondering it for some time, Bob and I concluded that venue may have been the result of some political motivations. We watched as businessmen and families stood in shock as the rainbow colors and gyrating lesbians, bisexuals, gay, and transgender paraded by.

I then parted with Bob and went to my fitness club, Mijje gym. Gyms appear to be slightly more expensive in Korea, around 90,000 won a month - if you are seeking decent facilities. Also, women do not appear to go to the gym often or even lift. In fact, the first day I went to the gym, some haraboji(grandfather) looked at me and suggested that because I was a tiny girl, I lift minimally. Today, however, was a slightly different day for I experienced the most shocking and embarrasing thing in Korea thus far...

See in the next post for more details...

No comments:

Post a Comment